WindowModel and Installer Recommendations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nmchugh6

WindowModel and Installer Recommendations

#1 Post by nmchugh6 »

I live in Monmouth County New Jersey. I am frankly, in a financial bind and will likely have to sell my home in the next year. The windows are an eye sore with the framing split/crumbling. Exisitng windows are aluminum and several don't open at all or they open, then slide down. I need trustworthy advice on the mid-quality windows (manufacturer, r and u ratings) I should consider. Also, I understand that the installer makes all the difference so if anyone can recommend somone who does good work, I would greatly appreciate recommendations. And perhaps silly questions but here goes:
1)With vinyl replacement windows, does the existing wood framing get replaced with the vinyl material or do I need to replace the framing with new wood framing
2)What's capping?
3)What's wrapping?
Thanks so much for any help.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Mid-range windows with dual glazed low-e and argon gas should usually have u-values between .30 and .35 Anything with higher values I would not choose. (The lower the U-value the better)
There are many things to consider along with u-values. Air infiltration ratings, the type of spacer, how many layers of weatherstripping and several other factors all are in the mix to look at and compare. I would also pay close attention to the window choices of the pros here, who after all have installed thousands various brand windows and know the windows inside and out.

On most aluminum windows, nothing else comes out except for the old aluminum window. Sometimes the old frames are even left in depending on the siding material and flashing system on the exterior of the home. Stucco would be one such case.

Capping and wrapping are the same thing. This is custom bent painted aluminum that is formed to fit on the exterior of your old window sills and casings. On aluminum windows, you may or may not need this depending on how your old windows were finished off on the outside.

I am posting before and after photos of windows I installed and wrapped for Warren Buffet's son Howard. On the first photo, they were installed but not wrapped yet.
The second photo is after wrapping them. This should give you an idea of what we do when we wrap or cap a window.

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Here's an email address to a very good man in your area. He should be a great person for you to deal with.

Bill
uneeda@earthlink.net

He should have everything you need and he's a very trustworthy man!

nmchugh6

#4 Post by nmchugh6 »

Thankyou gentlemen. After reading various posts, I'm now leaning towards Schuco or Simonton. Any additional installers anyone can recommend in Central New Jersey. For Schuco, I found Morris Window and Siding, Monmouth Vinyl and Best Design carry these. Any comments on them or any additional recommendations? For Simmonton, I found Uneeda and Bradco and Bakalum. Any knowledge on the quality of their work?

Is there any pricelist for SchUco available anywhere? For Simmonton?
Should I be concerned about vinyl here in New Jersey? Is something with a composite structure or a fiberglass construction work better?

Last, I'm not convinced that I need 3x glass. Does Schuco still offer double pane (3000 model).

Guy

#5 Post by Guy »

If you go with Simonton I can honestly stand behind Bill at Uneeda. He's a stand up business man and will serve you very well!!!!! Good Luck with whom ever you choose!!